BarnowlBehavioral Analysis of Related Networks on Open Web Links
Your Title Goes Here
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
What is this project?
Barn Owl investigates if disinformation sites can be correctly identified from a group of misinformation and neutral sites through a combination of SEO signals. We investigate the following by combining SEO marketing tools and Python:
A.) Useful disinformation data can be pulled independently with marketing techniques – no need for potential filtering by third parties
B.) Small and Mid-sized disinformation sites can structurally be detected separately from misinformation sites.
- If so, what combination of structures work?
- What is their accuracy?
C.) Small and Mid-sized disinformation sites can be detected on the backside without need of content analysis
D.) Small and Mid-sized disinformation sites have a unique set of SEO signal identifiers and tendencies
E.) If there is a unique structure, is it applicable across multiple languages?
Task Team Leader: Liz Wong
History of this Project
B.A.R.N.O.W.L. officially launched Spring 2022 and has continued into Summer 2022 and the 22-23 AY at the Applied Research Laboratories, UT Austin, or ARL:UT. We have presented our work to Former CIA Director John Brennan and work in joint partnership under GDIL, Sandia National Laboratories, and ARL:UT.
Goals for 2022-2023
- Grow existing data’s neutral, misinformation, and disinformation list
- Use Pandas to explore small sample set
- Write findings
- Apply research to larger dataset —> Possibly partner with ARL:UT for Machine Learning (ML)
- Write up of small exploratory findings
- Pandas code available to GitHub for exploratory analysis
- Present to Sandia for renewal
- Completed dataset with seed sites and backlinks data
- Expand larger dataset to include foreign language sample and compare findings
What students will learn
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Network Analysis
- Python (Pandas)
- Freedom of Speech Policy
- Data Visualization
- Research development and process
- Scientific Writing
Get in Touch
Want to work with us? Have an idea for a project? Curious about some aspect of the lab? Please reach out. We promise we’re friendly!